Manchester United FC

Im ASB-Olymp

Bitte was?

Eigentlich kann/braucht man gar keine einzelnen Sachen herauspicken; den "arme Sau"-Satz einwenig zu modifizieren, erspar ich mir:

Gill: Hypocrisy, double standards and U-turns

FOR RELEASE 7.30am WEDNESDAY 3 AUGUST

- Hypocrisy, double standards and U-turns -

DAVID GILL DENIES BEING GLAZER’S ‘YES’ MAN:

“I’LL TELL HIM WHAT I THINK”

But what do you think David? Will you be telling him what you were thinking a few weeks/months/years ago, or what you seem to be thinking now? Because having heard your statements before the takeover, fans are struggling to understand how you can be saying the kind of thing you are saying now.

David Gill’s replies to Garry Richardson on R5’s Sportsweek on Sunday 3 July left many fans gasping at the U-turn in Gill’s position, when compared to his previous statements on a range of key issues. Many fans will be questioning Gill’s integrity and his decision to stay on as CEO when they see how his mind has been changed so easily and quickly on such vital questions as the Glazer’s business plan, the debt in the club, the ownership of United and the role of supporters.

And those fans will also be surprised to hear that Gill offered a donation of £25,000 to Shareholders United in December last year, at the time he was about to exercise some £1.1 million of share options and when Glazer was preparing a new offer for United. The support that he showed the fans groups then has disappeared – new owner, new set of values.

Look at Gill’s public and private statements before the takeover compared to those since:

On Glazer’s business plan

Before:

“The Board believes that the nature and return requirement of this capital structure will put pressure on the business of MU, particularly if Glazer’s business plan was not met. The Board continues to believe that Glazer’s business plan assumptions are aggressive and that the direct and indirect financial strain on the business could be damaging” (MU Board statement of 11 February 2005)

“The Board remains of the view that the assumptions in Glazer’s business plan are aggressive. The Board’s unanimous view is that they could not support Glazer’s [takeover] proposal…….as being in the best interests of the Company” (MU Board statement of 28 April 2005)

After:

“[since the takeover] we’ve got to know a bit more about their plans…………..and we’ll get to know more about [their plans] over the coming weeks and months” (Gill on R5 Sportsweek, 3 July 2005)

"I'm not sitting here and saying I've suddenly seen the light with the Glazers' plan. I think there are certain issues involved and hopefully, as we get to know them better, I can explain some of the concerns we have and explain where some things may work and others won't” (Gill in MoS 31 July 2005)

Ehhhhh?

Gill has not done his homework on the Glazers – no-one tells them what they can and can’t do. They need him for a while, maybe a year, so that they can show that “nothing has changed” as a result of their takeover. But come next year and the year after, big changes are planned and there is no sign yet that the Glazers think Gill is the right man to execute what he termed their ‘aggressive’ and ‘damaging’ business plan.

On United and Glazer’s £650 million of acquisition debt

Before:

“Manchester United is a debt-free, profitable and sustainable business” (MU plc AGM November 2003).

“We could borrow money but it would not be good business for a football club. Borrowing large sums of money is the road to ruin” (SU members’ open meeting, August 2004)

“The Board has decided to inform all shareholders that it would regard an offer which it believes to be overly leveraged as not being in the best interests of the Company” (MU Board statement of 25 October 2004)

“The level of debt required is not in the best interests of the Club. The Club has 126 years of history and is recognised as one of the most successful football clubs in the world. I don’t think any sensible person would think we could recommend a proposal that could jeopardise something that has been built up over so many years” (October 2004)

After:

No comment.

Despite misgivings, Gill now seems perfectly happy to work for owners who have made United the most indebted sports club in the world, executing a business plan which he still doesn’t seem to know much about. Joel Glazer’s highly illuminating comments on the debt were limited to stating that the level of debt was “comfortable” and that “debt means different things to different people”.

On ownership of United

Before:

“United doesn’t have and doesn’t want a sugar daddy. We want to become a long-term sustainable business that is not reliant on one single person. We believe we have a model for a successful business and it is the appropriate thing for us” (AGM November 2003)

“In due course we would like to work with the Glazer family, Cubic Expression, Shareholders United and our other shareholders to work on a structure that we think will bring the club long-term stability. That must be our aim and is what the Board intends to do" (MU Official Website, 25 October 2004)

"We have to look at the solution going forward. Shareholders United are pleading for supporters to buy shares and that's how they can show their allegiance and control of the club going forward" (October 2004)

“I will be clearly open to the shareholders groups and bodies like yourselves and IMUSA, and that dialogue we spoke about at the AGM [setting up a supporters trust] will hopefully continue and we will move on to new heights. Don’t quote me on this, but my own personal view is if we can work together to make sure we are (and this is off the record).…we keep this company independent. That is better for everyone” (‘United Shareholder’ interview transcript tapes, December 2003)

“Nick, you know that if I wasn’t in the position I’m in, I would be behind the barricades with you” (Said during a telephone conversation with Nick Towle of SU in December 2004, in which Gill offered to make a donation of £25,000 to SU out of the proceeds of exercise of share options he wanted to complete)

After:

“You have to separate ownership from following the club. If I wasn’t working for the club, I’d still be a fan and I’d be very much concerned as to what was going on on the pitch, not who owned it, that’s irrelevant, it’s not my area so to speak” (R5 Sportsweek interview, July 2005)

On the role of supporters

Before:

“We have very vocal fans and one of the key strengths of Manchester United are those fan groups” (October 2004).

After:

“Shareholders United, as a representative of a body of fans who have purchased shares in MU plc, has historically had a seat on the [Fans] Forum. However, as a result of the new structure of the company, SU clearly has no legitimacy in representing such a block of people – since no external shareholders exist….SU’s seat on the Forum will from the start of the 2005/06 season be given to a representative of fans in Manchester, Salford or Trafford.” (Letter to SU, 5 July 2005)

Ehhhhh?

So that’s a democratic 32,000 member fans’ organisation, which is the official supporters trust at the club, expelled from the Fans’ Forum. IMUSA, the other main democratic fans organisation, has also been booted off the FF. So the ‘vocal’ fans groups, one of the ‘key strengths’ of MU, are no longer wanted at Old Trafford. Perhaps that is one of the “opportunities” which Gill talked about when listing the merits of being a private company as opposed to a plc? Being able to ignore the legitimate and democratic voices of the fans?

Conclusion

It is hard to escape the conclusion that Gill says whatever his particular audience wants to hear, and it is even harder to maintain respect for someone who manages to face in so many different directions in such a short space of time. The comparison of before/after statements show a lamentable level of hypocrisy, double standards and about turns.

This surely has nothing to do with the fact that Gill (and his Finance Director Nick Humby) have been well rewarded for their continued ‘loyalty’ to the club and its new owners – Gill sold his shares to Glazer and received around £2 million more (pre-tax) for unexercised options which might have vested in 3 years time; Humby also sold shares and trousered around £1 million for his options.

Some would say these are clues as to why Gill is singing his new master’s tune so shamelessly and willingly. And why he appears to many fans to have surrendered his integrity so easily.

Notes:

David Gill, CEO of Manchester United, went public on 3 July for the first time in 4 months at the end of the Glazer brothers’ recent visit to England, which saw a tightly-managed PR campaign featuring plenty of warm words and verbal assurances to a range of interested parties – except the fans and the press. No-one is any the wiser as to hard plans and the future of the debt-laden business, the object of the exercise being to calm fears and reduce the temperature surrounding the takeover.

The tough questions remain unanswered. The fans groups and fanzines, who represent well over 50,000 United fans, will continue to demand answers to those questions.

Diesen Beitrag teilen

Link zum Beitrag

get the fuck in!

glaub halt net, dass es viele CEOs in unternehmen von der größe von united gibt, die aus gründen der moral von ihrem spitzenjob zurücktreten oder den anweisungen der neuen besitzer entgegen handeln. sind halt hauptsächlich beidln in solchen business-ebenen und net so edel wie wir fans. :D

sicher kannst ihn für vieles zu recht beschimpfen, aber das grundübel sind dann doch die amis und nicht der kerl, der halt alles mitmacht und sich windet weil er an seinem job hängt. wünscht sich ja ohnehin jeder eine übernahme, womit sich die personalie gill wohl sowieso miterledigen würde.

edit: weiß net, wie verständlich das jetzt ist, meine ansicht gill betreffend. :D

er ist mir quasi relativ wurscht, weil ich ihn nur als das anhängsel des hauptproblems glazer+schulden sehe.

bearbeitet von Maulinho

Diesen Beitrag teilen

Link zum Beitrag

Im ASB-Olymp

Mitleid hab ich aber trotzdem keines, er nagt ja nicht am hungertuch. ;)

David Gill's salary increased 60% since 2006

Grundübel sind aber durchaus auch jene Leute, die es den ganzen Blutegeln bei sämtlichen Klubs ermöglichen, überhaupt einen Fuss in den englischen Profifusball zu bekommen.

Und bzgl Gill: Würde mich interessieren was passiert wäre, wenn das MU Board von vornherein klar gemacht hätte, wie unerwünscht die Glazers sind.

er ist mir quasi relativ wurscht, weil ich ihn nur als das anhängsel des hauptproblems glazer+schulden sehe.

Und ich sage, er hätte eine Übernahme verhindern können. Aber die finanziellen Aussichten für ihn selbst waren dann wohl zu verlockend.

ah da is ein edit

bearbeitet von Gampern

Diesen Beitrag teilen

Link zum Beitrag

get the fuck in!
“Nick, you know that if I wasn’t in the position I’m in, I would be behind the barricades with you” (Said during a telephone conversation with Nick Towle of SU in December 2004, in which Gill offered to make a donation of £25,000 to SU out of the proceeds of exercise of share options he wanted to complete)

After:

“You have to separate ownership from following the club. If I wasn’t working for the club, I’d still be a fan and I’d be very much concerned as to what was going on on the pitch, not who owned it, that’s irrelevant, it’s not my area so to speak” (R5 Sportsweek interview, July 2005)

ok, sowas is schon ein wenig deppat.

Und ich sage, er hätte eine Übernahme verhindern können. Aber die finanziellen Aussichten für ihn selbst waren dann wohl zu verlockend.

das weißt du sicher besser, keine ahnung wie seine möglichkeiten da waren.

Diesen Beitrag teilen

Link zum Beitrag

The King

Ernstgemeinte Frage: Wie?

Mich wundert gar nichts von dem, was er gesagt hat/sagt. Er ist nur eine Marionette und will seinen Job behalten. Nicht, dass ich ihn jetzt weiß Gott wie verteidigen möchte, aber wie Maulinho schon angedeutet hat, wer würde einen mit 1,6 Millionen Pfund dotierten Job aufgeben?

Aus Fansicht ist die Optik natürlich eine bescheidene, das ist gar keine Frage.

Zum Spiel heute: Pflichtsieg. Nachdem Arsenal in letzter Zeit die Angewohnheit entwickelt hat, in der 99. Minute (;)) den Siegestreffer zu erzielen und auch Chelsea wie zu erwarten war mit West Ham keine Probleme hatte (deren 'verteidigen' aber wirklich recht lustig war), kann es sich United nicht leisten, Punkte gegen einen Gegner wie Fulham abzugeben. Außerdem kann ich mich noch gut an das letzte Duell erinnern...

Diesen Beitrag teilen

Link zum Beitrag

The King

Mannschaft für heute (Bestbesetzung!):

Van der Sar _Holland_

Neville _England_ © - Ferdinand _England_ - Vidic _Serbien_ - Evra _Frankreich_

Valencia _Ekuador_ - Carrick _England_ - Fletcher _Schottland_ - Nani _Portugal_

Rooney _England_ - Berbatov _Bulgarien_

Bank: PIG, Park, Scholes, Obertan, Gill, Fabio, Diouf.

Positiv: Fabio ist von seiner Verletzungspause zurück, die erste Mannschaft ist mehr oder minder fit und Nani hat sich jetzt langsam aber doch einen Platz in der Startelf gesichert.

Negativ: Brown, O'Shea, de Laet fehlen mit langwierigen Verletzungen, zudem dürfte auch mit Evans und Rafael was sein... was ist da nur in der Abwehr immer los...

bearbeitet von Starostyak

Diesen Beitrag teilen

Link zum Beitrag

Who the fuck are Man United?

Ganz starke Partie heute. Rooney mit den obligatorischen 2 Toren und auch Berbatov hat mich überzeugt. Fletcher auch wie immer in letzter Zeit sensationell. Defensiv macht sich die Rückkehr unseres Stamm IV Duos auch bemerkbar, das hat Heuer schon ganz anders ausgesehen.

Pflichtsieg eingefahren, starke Leistung, weiter so.

Diesen Beitrag teilen

Link zum Beitrag

The King
Ganz starke Partie heute. Rooney mit den obligatorischen 2 Toren und auch Berbatov hat mich überzeugt. Fletcher auch wie immer in letzter Zeit sensationell. Defensiv macht sich die Rückkehr unseres Stamm IV Duos auch bemerkbar, das hat Heuer schon ganz anders ausgesehen.

Pflichtsieg eingefahren, starke Leistung, weiter so.

Dem kann man nicht viel hinzufügen. Super zum anschauen, im Endeffekt viel zu niedrig, aber toller Fussball. Jetzt ist mal eine Woche Pause und dann kommt das erste von vier sehr schwierigen Duellen. Die ersten beiden von zehn Aufgaben wurden schon mal sehr positiv erledigt.

Rooney & Berbatov scheinen auch immer besser zu harmonieren. Berbatov scheint sich damit abgefunden zu haben, in den großen Spielen auf der Bank zu sitzen und hauptsächlich dann von Beginn weg gebracht zu werden, wenn sich der Gegner nur hinten reinstellt. Nächste Woche gibts sicher wieder ein 4-2-3-1 mit Scholes, Fletcher & Carrick im Mittelfeld sowie Valencia, Rooney bzw. Nani/Park vorne drin.

Diesen Beitrag teilen

Link zum Beitrag

Rapidlaaa

Ich frag mich wie dieser SAF das macht. Kaum is C.R weg haut der Rooney alles rein :( ..

Bin scho richtig gespannt, wie Rooney sich gegen Chelsea anstellt..

Naja seit der CR weg ist spielt Rooney doch mehr im Zentrum. Hab gelesen dass er früher oft eher auf der Seite eingesetzt wurde und jetzt wo er als Mittelstürmer aufgestellt wird klappts perfekt. Schon genial wie der derzeit explodiert. 6 Tore noch auf CR9 Rekord! :allaaah:

Diesen Beitrag teilen

Link zum Beitrag

Grün-Weisser Stolz

Bezweifle stark das da was dran ist. Die haben ja schon Higuan und Benzema und spielen eh nur mit einer Spitze..

Ev. wenn sie 4-4-2 spielen könnte das mehr zum Thema werden aber gut. Das würde Real wohl sehr teuer kommen logischerweise.

Diesen Beitrag teilen

Link zum Beitrag

Posting-Pate

was ist an dem rooney-real-gerücht dran? blödsinn oder wirklichkeit?

das wäre ja der super-gau...wobei ich nicht glaube dass SAF ernsthaft daran denken

würde ihn herzugeben...

Jeder Spieler mit Weltklasseformat wird von den Medien automatisch mit Real oder Barca in Verbindung gebracht. Rooney will bleiben, würde man ihn verkaufen, bräuchte Gill nichts schön zu reden, den die Bankrotterklärung läge ja parat.

Ich glaube jedenfalls trotz der angespannten finanz. Lage, dass da nichts dran ist. Habe auch Hoffnung, dass jetzt Vidic bleibt, aber bei dem wäe es sicher wahrscheinlicher, dass da an den Wechselgerüchten was dran wäre.

Diesen Beitrag teilen

Link zum Beitrag

¿Por Qué?

Ich frag mich wie dieser SAF das macht. Kaum is C.R weg haut der Rooney alles rein :( ..

Wär ja für einen Feldversuch. Shrek nach Barcelona schicken und auf den dann zukünftigen Weltfußballer Park setzen :D

Diesen Beitrag teilen

Link zum Beitrag