Premier League News

FA hits back at Vieira

Eingefügtes Bild

The Football Association has angrily rejected Patrick Vieira's accusation of bias against Arsenal.

The Gunners captain hinted at a vendetta by the FA after defender Sol Campbell was charged with violent conduct.

But an FA spokesman told this website the claim was "completely untrue."

Campbell appeared to kick out at Manchester United's Eric Djemba-Djemba in the Community Shield.

But Vieira is unhappy that the new United signing was not similarly charged for his part in the incident.

If Campbell is found guilty by the commission, the defender could face a further three-match ban on top of a one-match suspension for a professional foul in the Premiership match against Everton.

"If it had been a player at another club, I don't think this would have happened," Vieira told London's Evening Standard newspaper.

FA spokesman

"It is no surprise to me they have charged him. For me, this has happened because he is an Arsenal player.

"I have been where Sol is now and I know how he is feeling."

But the FA spokesman told this website: "We refute any accusations of prejudice against any club.

"Disciplinary rules, regulations and practices are in place across the board and must be adhered to.

"Any suggestion otherwise is completely untrue."

Vieira's comments run the risk of landing Arsenal in further hot water with the FA.

His words will also cause potential embarrassment to Arsenal vice-chairman David Dein, who is also vice chairman of the FA.

But Vieira added defiantly: "As a squad of players, we are already close. Now, if it is possible, we will be even closer."

Arsenal defender Ashley Cole also insisted the team would rally round Campbell.

He said: "We can't believe what is going on. No one saw what Djemba-Djemba did to Sol. He'll come back strong from this though. He'll be better than ever."

Quelle: [ http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/t...nal/3169809.stm ]

Was denkt ihr zu diesem Thema??

bearbeitet von Mombasa

Diesen Beitrag teilen

Link zum Beitrag

let 'em come

Was denkt ihr zu diesem Thema??

Würde die Aussagen div. Spieler zu solchen Themen nicht allzu ernst nehmen. Spieler tätigen Aussagen, die ihnen später wieder leid tun.

Würde abwarten, NOCH wurde er ja nicht gesperrt.

Diesen Beitrag teilen

Link zum Beitrag

Magpies distraught at Euro exit

Eingefügtes Bild

Newcastle boss Sir Bobby Robson was devastated after seeing Partizan Belgrade rip Champions League qualification from his grasp.

Thirteen years after Lothar Matthaus shattered the then England manager's World Cup dreams, he returned to haunt him once again as his Partizan side levelled the aggregate score through Ivica Iliev 50 minutes into the game and then held their nerve in a penalty shoot-out to clinch a famous victory.

The Serbian champions are the first club from their fledgling nation to make the Champions League proper, while Newcastle, having tasted the big time last season, will have to settle for a place in the UEFA Cup.

'Everyone is quite distraught, to be honest,' said the 70-year-old Robson. 'That's how it's affected us.

'After Manchester United, it hasn't been one of our better weeks.

'But I have to compliment our visitors, who I thought played very well. They gave us a tough match - they played better than they did at home.

'It was never easy and it was a tough night. We knew it wasn't finished. It was only half-time, it was only halfway house, and they played very well on the night.'

Partizan could have won the game in normal time and might have again clinched it during the extra 30 minutes.

But keeper Ivica Kralj kicked an Alan Shearer free-kick off the line in injury time at the end of extra-time to take the game to a shoot-out.

Newcastle missed their first three penalties as Shearer, Kieron Dyer and Jonathan Woodgate failed to beat Kralj, and although a combination of Shay Given, the woodwork and Serbian nerves kept the Magpies in it, Aaron Hughes' miss with his side's seventh kick allowed Milivoje Cirkovic to clinch victory.

The defeat could cost United around £10million, although Robson insisted the money had never entered his head and that the UEFA Cup is some consolation.

'I'm not thinking about money, I'm thinking about the disappointment because the lads are distraught,' he said.

'It just shows how disappointed we are. We're going to play in the UEFA Cup and everyone is disappointed and thinks it's awful.

'But we've got to soldier on, pick ourselves up. We have another important match on Saturday, then we get a break.

'We're in the UEFA Cup and we just hope that we can give our supporters something to be thrilled about and shout about.

'I know how they feel, but nobody out there is worse than we are. But we are in the UEFA Cup and we'll have a go at that.

'It's not where we wanted to be. It's second choice, but we'll just have to settle for that this season.'

Quelle: [ http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?...=275342&cc=5739 ]

Diesen Beitrag teilen

Link zum Beitrag

Liverpool's Diouf in court next week

El-Hadji Diouf will go on trial next week accused of assaulting a Celtic fan during a UEFA Cup match.

The Liverpool player pleaded not guilty to the charge when the case was first called at Glasgow Sheriff Court in May.

It is alleged that he spat at a supporter during the quarter-final first leg tie at Celtic Park, Glasgow, on March 13.

The 22-year-old Senegalese striker was excused attendance at Friday's hearing at the Sheriff Court.

Joe Beltrami, representing Diouf, told the court the defence was ready to go for trial.

The court set a trial date for September 4.

Quelle: [ http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?...=275487&cc=5739 ]

Diesen Beitrag teilen

Link zum Beitrag

let 'em come

Eingefügtes Bild

Arsenal are set to appeal against defender Sol Campbell's Football Association

charge for violent conduct.

The England centre-half faces a three-match ban after being accused of kicking Manchester United's Eric Djemba-Djemba in the Community Shield.

Campbell has requested a personal hearing with the FA and Arsenal will begin proceedings to clear his name on Tuesday, according to the Guardian newspaper.

The 28-year old reportedly threatened to quit the national side after he was charged, believing he is being victimised by the FA after also receiving a red card on the opening day of the season.

But Campbell had clear-the-air talks with Sven-Goran Eriksson before England's friendly with Croatia two weeks ago and is in the squad to face Macedonia and Liechtenstein in the Euro 2004 qualification double-header.

BBC

Diesen Beitrag teilen

Link zum Beitrag

let 'em come

Fulham Football Club will submit a planning application to enable the Club to return to Craven Cottage next season...

Eingefügtes Bild

Fulham Football Club's chairman, Mohamed Al Fayed, today announced that the club has launched a formal bid to return to its Craven Cottage stadium from the start of next season.

The club will submit a planning application to Hammersmith and Fulham Council as soon as possible for temporary building works to commence.

If planning permission is granted a refurbishment programme will follow to provide additional undercover seating bringing the ground's capacity up to 22,000.

The proposed return to Craven Cottage will be a temporary move since the club remains committed to building a larger stadium elsewhere in the borough.

Last night Mr Al Fayed said: 'I am delighted to take this step towards fulfilling the fans' dearest wish to take us home, albeit temporarily'.

Fulham moved out of Craven Cottage - its base for 105 years - in May 2002 so that the ground could be redeveloped into a 30,000 all-seater stadium. Arrangements were made to groundshare at Queens Park Rangers' Loftus Road stadium for two seasons while the work was completed.

Plans to build the new stadium were initially delayed by legal action from a group of residents and later unforeseen technical difficulties rendered the redevelopment plan unworkable.

The club then turned its attention to buying a plot of land within the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham for the purpose of building a new stadium. A suitable plot was identified at White City which the club is still actively trying to acquire to build an appropriate stadium together with modern leisure facilities (including a swimming pool) for the local community.

The club is grateful for the help and support it is receiving from Hammersmith and Fulham Council. The local authority is working closely with club officials to assist in finding the best solution for Fulham Football Club, the fans, and all the residents of the borough. The Council is prepared to consider all alternatives to keep the club in the borough and secure the appropriate site.

In the meantime the facilities at Loftus Road have proved inadequate for Premiership football without a major investment which has resulted in the decision to apply for planning permission to return to Craven Cottage in the short-term.

The new redevelopment programme at Craven Cottage will, subject to planning permission, meet Premier League requirements by installing seating on the terraces in front of the Stevenage Road stand and at the Putney and Hammersmith ends of the ground.

'Like all Fulham fans I was bitterly disappointed when our plans to build a state-of-the-art stadium on the Craven Cottage site became impossible to achieve', said Mr Al Fayed.

'I still believe that if we are to fulfil our long-term dreams of making Fulham a major force in football we need a larger stadium than it is possible to erect at the Cottage and I continue to be entirely dedicated to working towards that end.

'If planning permission is granted and this all works out I will, of course, keep my promise to those who have supported us at Loftus Road through the purchase of season tickets by giving them seating preferences back at the Cottage.'

'I am doing everything that I can to find a commercially viable long term solution', said Mr Al Fayed.

Fulham FC

Diesen Beitrag teilen

Link zum Beitrag

let 'em come

Kirkland injury hits Liverpool

Eingefügtes Bild

Liverpool goalkeeper Chris Kirkland faces up to six weeks on the sidelines with the groin injury he sustained on England Under-21 duty on Tuesday.

Kirkland suffered the injury in the warm-up to the European Under-21 Championship qualifier against Portugal at Goodison Park.

He missed the game and underwent a scan on Wednesday at the Reds' Melwood training base, where fears about the extent of the problem were confirmed.

"Chris Kirkland had a scan and unfortunately it has shown a tear to the groin which he suffered before the game at Goodison," said the club's head of press Ian Cotton.

"Our medical staff predict he will be out for between four and six weeks."

French goalkeeper Patrice Luzi is expected to take Kirkland's place on the substitutes' bench at Blackburn at the weekend, with Polish international Jerzy Dudek the current-first choice stopper of Anfield boss Gerard Houllier.

BBC

Diesen Beitrag teilen

Link zum Beitrag

let 'em come

Portsmouth striker Teddy Sheringham has been named Barclaycard Player of the Month for August.

Sheringham scored four goals in the opening month of the season as Portsmouth quickly got up to speed with life in the Barclaycard Premiership.

The decision was made by the Barclaycard Awards Panel, who said: “Teddy Sheringham is placed fifth in the list of all-time Premiership goal scorers and at the age of 37 he is showing no signs of slowing down.

“His intelligence and ability have served him well and will undoubtedly be essential to Portsmouth as the season progresses.”

Diesen Beitrag teilen

Link zum Beitrag

let 'em come

Liverpool plan emergency call

Liverpool may request special dispensation to sign an emergency goalkeeper.

Young England keeper Chris Kirkland recently suffered a groin injury which will keep him out of action until Christmas.

With the transfer window now closed for Premiership clubs, Anfield boss Gerard Houllier has no chance of signing a replacement.

But league rules state that clubs can request permission to sign a goalkeeper in an emergency.

"We will have to look at that - it is certainly something we will have to consider," Houllier said.

One option for Liverpool is a three-month loan, which will cover them until Kirkland's predicted return.

BBC

Diesen Beitrag teilen

Link zum Beitrag

C'mon you Irons!

Hoddle leaves Spurs

21 09 2003

Tottenham announced on Sunday evening that manager Glenn Hoddle has left the club with immediate effect.

Former England boss Hoddle has come under increasing pressure at White Hart Lane following the club's disappointing start to the new Barclaycard Premiership season, and Saturday's 3-1 defeat by Southampton appears to have come as the final straw.

Quelle: 4thegame.com

Naja bei dem Start wunderts mich nicht - aber wer braucht schon die Spurs :D

Diesen Beitrag teilen

Link zum Beitrag

let 'em come

Hoddle leaves Spurs

21 09 2003

Tottenham announced on Sunday evening that manager Glenn Hoddle has left the club with immediate effect.

Former England boss Hoddle has come under increasing pressure at White Hart Lane following the club's disappointing start to the new Barclaycard Premiership season, and Saturday's 3-1 defeat by Southampton appears to have come as the final straw.

Quelle: 4thegame.com

Naja bei dem Start wunderts mich nicht - aber wer braucht schon die Spurs :D

Als Nachfolger wird der ehemalige Barcelona Coach Raddy Antic gehandelt.

Diesen Beitrag teilen

Link zum Beitrag

• 2 weeks later...
C'mon you Irons!

GERRARD STAY'S AT LIVERPOOL

Steven Gerrard has insisted that he will "definitely" sign a new contract with Liverpool.

My next challenge for him is to become a world class player. I want him to rise to another level and to become a real star, both on and off the field.

---------

Große Worte mein Freund - nach seinen bisher doch ziemlich unkonstanten Leistungen, muss er das erst mal bestätigen - ich persönlich traue es ihm nicht zu...

Was meint ihr? Kann er DER Führungsspieler bei Liverpool werden ?

Diesen Beitrag teilen

Link zum Beitrag