#14 - Dominik Szoboszlai

Banklwärmer

I might have skipped some parts of the interview which were not that relevant:

Interview translation part 1:

What were the differences between training in Salzburg and in Hungary?

It is completely different, you have the fight for your place in the team. I realized that besides me there are at least 25 other player who have the same qualities as myself. They do not care where you come from, only what you do on the pitch.

Your father did not spoil you either. About 6-7 years ago I went to a match played between Főnix-Gold and Vasas. The match was won by your club Főnix 10-1. After the win the coach (your father) shouted at you players which nobody understood why.

The score could have been 20-1 as well...

In the middle of the pitch there was a tall guy. The coach was the most furious with him.

With me?

Yes.

There was not a match when he did not do that if he felt that's reasonable.

Is he that perfectionist?

That's not even a question.

Did it bother you at all? Did you have debates?

Yes, quite a lot.

What kind of debate should we picture?

He shouted my head off and meanwhile I shut my mouth. I did not have any other choice, I had to do what he requested.

Did you agree with him?

Not always at that time. I felt bad as I'd been scoring a lot of goals and assisted a lot and I felt I did all my job right. Now I realize that he was right. You have to score goals to win matches but there are a lot of other aspects of the game which you also have to take care of.

What is the role of your mother in all this?

Of course she did not have anything to do with this football stuff but my Mom always came to see my matches. She ensured the so called calm backround around me.

In Főnix the team was built around you while in Salzburg you were just one football player from the bunch. How did you cope with this difference?

It was not easy. I did not speak German at all and barely spoke English. I could only sell myself with my performances. I worked hard from the first training. I would have been screwed if I did not do like that.

What do you mean by that?

As the only Hungarian I was endangering someones position. "If you want my buddy's place I am gonna screw you over". That's the mentality. They did not succeed at my case.

You won the sympathy of others quite quickly cause while you were playing with Liefering in 2017/2018 season, in spring you've been called up to train with the first team of Salzburg with head coach Marco Rose at that time. After that on May 18th you debuted against Austria Wien. How is Marco Rose as a coach?

He is tough but a very good coach. On the pitch he asks players to talk to each other loudly to help one another. In the dressing room he asked for player's opinions as well.

Could anyone express their opinion?

Sure.

Did that ever happen with 17 year old Dominik?

I don't think that anyone at 17 would say anything... I did not do that either. The team's older and more accomplished players express their opinions. The younger players do what they are told to do. But we felt a sincere good relations to our coach on and off the pitch as well.

How much time did you need to get used to the Salzburg team?

I needed half a year to realize that I am not training at Liefering now and I'll need to do a lot more than that.

Is the difference between the two teams that big?

Yes, of course. At Liefering I just did my thing and I became the centre of that team. I thought that will be enough at RBS as well. How wrong I was...

What was the main difficulty that you couldn't jump the level of the first team right away?

I thought I am the cool one here, the same intenstity in trainings will be enough which I did at Liefering. Rose let me know that I am completely wrong. He put me in my place and tried to get me to return to reason. At that time I thought the coach is the one who is incompetent. Certainly I was the one... I reached to a point when I said this cannot go any further. I asked my manager to look for a team where I can play. I had several good options even then. We also flew to one of the teams to negotiate but during the travel something switched in me and said: "Look Matyi (his manager) I changed my mind. I don't wanna change, I'm gonna face these difficulties on my own. Let's get back to Salzburg." When I returned I went to Rose's office and said: "Coach, I am not going to give it up. I'm gonna work until you put me into the first team." This moment was a real turning point in my relationship with Marco and even in my carreer. After this I started to train differently and harder than before. Thanks to that I got my chance in the Europe League against Napoli. Looking back I realize if  Rose wasn't my coach I wouldn't be sitting here now.

Can we call this the process of becoming an adult?

Yes, all this meant a major maturing process not just as a footballer but as a person as well. He was right and I needed his toughness to get myself accepted within the team and by now becoming a leader based on my performances and my personality.

Part 2 will consist of the Marsch era, speaking of market values, money and the current transfer speculations.

(source: https://rangado.24.hu/magyar_foci/2020/07/18/szoboszlai-dominik-interju-palyafutas/)

Diesen Beitrag teilen

Link zum Beitrag

Postet viiiel zu viel
OnlyRBS schrieb vor 4 Minuten:

Bei Hwang gab es auch so ein Video, klingt also schon sehr nach Abschied meiner Meinung nach.

Bei Hwang gab es ein Abschiedsvideo - nach der Transferbestätigung. Bei Szobo ist es ein Video als "Player of the year" seitens der Bundesliga und auch seitens der Fans. :ratlos:

Diesen Beitrag teilen

Link zum Beitrag

V.I.P.
Axelsim schrieb am 19.7.2020 um 10:40 :

Eigentlich ziemlich traurig, solche Leute sollten eigentlich keine Kinder haben, bzw. Diese trainieren. Zum Glück hat Szobszlai die Zeit anscheinend gut überstanden.

Diesen Beitrag teilen

Link zum Beitrag

Sehr bekannt im ASB

ich denke nicht dass uns noch viel Spieler verlassen werden weil der letzte Umbruch war ja gerade und Hwang ist schon weg, also ausser Szobo gibt es da eh kaum Kandidaten und auch er wird denke ich mit hoher Wahrscheinlichkeit bleiben. Es gibt außer Geld (und nicht mal das weil wenn Du woanders dann nicht spielst, wer weiß was Du sonst bekommen hättest) eigentlich keinen Grund zu wechseln. Die gesamte Karriere steht vor ihm. Warum jetzt zu einem Spitzenclub gehen und dann nicht spielen? Und alles andere als die ganz großen Vereine hat er mit Salzburg eigentlich schon erreicht. Will jetzt nicht überheblich klingen aber Salzburg war nun mal top 15 in Europa in den vergangenen 3 Jahren.

Diesen Beitrag teilen

Link zum Beitrag

Bunter Hund im ASB

Top15-Verein hin oder her. Die Abgänge zu Wolfsburg, Hoffenheim, Marseille, Lazio, Gladbach, Leizpig, Hertha, usw. sollten doch relativ deutlich klarmachen, dass die meisten Spieler, wenn sie die Möglichkeit haben, lieber zu einem Team in den Top5-Ligen wechseln, auch wenn sie dort nicht um Titel und teilweise nicht mal international spielen. Das liegt jetzt nicht mal notwendigerweise an Salzburg, sondern natürlich an der Liga an sich. Aber da kannst dir deine Top15 dann aufmalen gehen.

Diesen Beitrag teilen

Link zum Beitrag