Owen zu Newcastle?

Im ASB-Olymp

Magpies agree record fee for Owen

Newcastle have revealed they have agreed a club record fee with Real Madrid for England's Michael Owen.

Owen, 25, had indicated his desire to rejoin Liverpool but is prepared to join Newcastle on a season-long loan if a move to Anfield cannot be agreed.

But a Newcastle statement said: "Newcastle United have met Real Madrid's asking price and conditions."

Newcastle, whose current record fee is £15m for Alan Shearer, are now waiting to hear from Owen's advisers.

Owen was thought to be available for about £12m, but the Newcastle stament added: "The agreed fee will be a record transfer fee for Newcastle United. It is now up to the player and his advisor."

Madrid have promised to help Owen return home to boost his World Cup hopes.

Owen said: "I said that my ideal situation was to start the season in the Real Madrid team and if not I would prefer to return to Liverpool.

"If the transfer cannot be finalised in time I have agreed to go to Newcastle."

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez has said he has no plans to bring Owen back to Anfield.

A club spokesperson told BBC Sport on Wednesday they have no plans to make a statement on "press speculation".

Real Madrid director of communications Antonio Garcia Ferreras confirmed they had not had an offer from Liverpool.

He said: "This morning Real Madrid and Newcastle United have reached the principles of an agreement on the conditions of Michael Owen's transfer to the English club.

"There is still no agreement between Michael Owen and Newcastle. At the moment we have not received any offer from Liverpool."

Owen spent much of his first season at the Bernabeu coming off the bench and the arrivals of Brazilian strikers Robinho and Julio Baptista this summer have seen him slip further down the pecking order.

The former Liverpool star had earlier indicated he was willing to stay and fight for his place, but after talks with president Florentino Perez has now had a change of heart.

He added: "I need to be playing regularly in World Cup year.

"I am most grateful to Senor Perez for his personal concern about my career. I have really enjoyed being part of his Real Madrid team."

Benitez has insisted his main priority is to sign a centre-back and already has Djibril Cisse, Fernando Morientes and Peter Crouch as his frontline strikers.

But Owen's return to Anfield would be welcomed by Liverpool fans, having scored 158 goals in 297 games in his first spell at the club.

Owen finished with 16 goals for Real last season despite being used primarily as a substitute.

On Tuesday Everton manager David Moyes revealed his club had spoken to Owen's representatives, but the player rejected a move to Goodison Park.

Lyon have also expressed an interest in the England striker, but he appears set for a return to England.

bbc.co.uk

nufc.co.uk

Kurz gesagt: Wenn Liverpool ihn nicht will, wechselt er zu Newcastle.

Diesen Beitrag teilen

Link zum Beitrag

Silver Torah

Owen set to complete Magpies move

England striker Michael Owen has agreed to join Newcastle from Real Madrid.

The 25-year-old will have a medical on Tuesday before signing a four-year deal with the Magpies, who are believed to have paid a club record £17m for Owen.

Liverpool were Owen's preferred choice but his former club were only prepared to offer the £8m they sold him for.

"Bringing Michael to the club will rank alongside the signing of Alan Shearer as my proudest moment at Newcastle United," said chairman Freddy Shepherd.

"The player will undergo a medical on Tuesday afternoon and Newcastle United hope to unveil him at a press conference next week following his return from international duty with England," said a club spokesman.

Owen's arrival will eclipse the money the club spent in signing Alan Shearer for £15m from Blackburn in July 1996 and he will return to face Liverpool when the two clubs meet on Boxing Day.

Shepherd added: "Newcastle fans love centre-forwards and Michael is a fantastic goalscorer.

"He's someone we would love to build the team around and we hope he can help us bring success to the club."

Owen was left out of Madrid's squad for the first game of their season after falling behind Ronaldo, Raul, Julio Baptista and Robinho in the pecking order at the Bernabeu.

That seems to have hastened his departure from the Spanish club and he travelled to England and met Benitez for two-and-a-half hours, before travelling to Northumberland.

There he met Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd and his son, manager Graeme Souness, captain Alan Shearer and coach Dean Saunders.

Owen had said he would only play for the Magpies on a one-year loan deal but he has been convinced to sign permanently in a coup for the club.

A big reason for the striker's move was his desire to play regular football in World Cup year and England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson had revealed Owen was concerned about his international future as he languished on the substitutes bench at Real.

Eriksson is likely to be pleased that Owen will be playing regular football, even though Newcastle are not involved in any European competition.

Owen will link up with Eriksson for England's World Cup qualifiers against Wales on 3 September and Northern Ireland four days later.

He is suspended for the first game but should return to play Northern Ireland where he will be hoping to add to his tally of 32 England goals.

quelle: bbc

Diesen Beitrag teilen

Link zum Beitrag

Beruf: ASB-Poster

Sehr guter Transfer mMn, weil er bei Real keine Chancen mehr auf einen Fixplatz hatte und sowieso nicht mehr zum Einsatz gekommen wäre.

Dann hat Newcastle mit Luque, Shearer und Owen 3 Qualitäts-Stürmer.

Shearer wird sich aber nach der Saison verabschieden denke ich, da er ja schon überredet wurde dieses Jahr noch anzuhängen.

Diesen Beitrag teilen

Link zum Beitrag