Der Captain bleibt !

Pass And Move - It's The Liverpool Groove
GERRARD EXCLUSIVE: I'VE FOLLOWED MY HEART

Mark Platt 28 June 2004

liverpoolfc.tv

Steven Gerrard has explained how he followed his heart in deciding to commit his future to Liverpool Football Club amid recent speculation linking him with a move away from Anfield.

Shortly before announcing his decision to stay with the Reds at a press conference this afternoon, Gerrard spoke openly to Liverpoolfc.tv in an exclusive interview about the events of the past few weeks...

Liverpoolfc.tv: Steven, a lot of Liverpudlians will be relieved today because many of them believed you'd already made up your mind to leave. Was there any truth in the rumours?

Steven Gerrard: I've been really confused over the past couple of weeks and I'll admit I did actually think about the possibility of moving on for the first time in my career. But when I returned from Portugal I spoke with my family, had a good talk with Rick (Parry) and an important meeting with my agent, and I've decided to stay.

There were a lot of things going through my head but in my heart it was impossible for me to leave. My head was thinking one thing but my heart was telling me another. In the end I followed my heart and decided to stay.

I've got strong connections with the club and the fans. My family are all Liverpudlians through and through and that means a lot to me.

I've always been one hundred per cent committed to Liverpool Football Club. I think everyone has seen that in my performances and things will be no different next season.

What were the main reasons behind you contemplating a transfer?

I wasn't happy with the way things have gone here over the last couple of years and I had a meeting with Rick to let him know that. For me to even contemplate moving on proves how unhappy I was but my decision to stay proves that I think this club is going places and I've no doubt we have the right manager to help us do that now.

Were you aware of how worried the Liverpool fans were about your possible departure, while out in Portugal?

Yes, I was aware of it. There was a lot of media speculation about my future but I thought it would have been very disrespectful if I had come out and spoke about my club situation while I was away with England. I was totally focussed on a massive tournament and discussing my club future would not have helped me. For this reason I decided to give myself a bit more time to think about what I wanted to do and to speak with both my family and my agent. I made my decision to stay on Sunday afternoon.

Did the arrival of the new manager have a big bearing on your decision then?

Yes, definitely. I think the club have appointed the right man for the job and he can take this club forward. The last two years have been unacceptable for a club of this size and I think in appointing Rafael Benitez, with the track record he has, is definitely one factor in why I have decided to stay. I actually met him during Euro 2004 and I'm looking forward to working with him.

So do you see exciting times ahead at Anfield next season?

Hopefully. Fingers crossed. I don't see why not. As I've said we've got a great manager in charge now. Hopefully he's going to bring in a couple of new faces. I'm very excited and looking forward to pre-season training. I'm just glad this weight is off my shoulders now because, as I've said, I have been confused for the last three or four weeks.

Do you think all the talk affected your performances for England in Euro 2004?

It's difficult to say. I tried my best to forget about it and just concentrate on the tournament but it was a confusing time.

And finally, what are your plans for the rest of the summer now?

I'm going to go away on holiday and put my feet up for a few weeks. I've had a tough season and a tough tournament away. I now need to get some rest and make sure I'm prepared for July 19 when I report back to Melwood.

Gerrard to stay at Anfield

Staff and agencies

Monday June 28, 2004

Michael Owen and Steven Gerrard

Kop favourites Michael Owen and Steven Gerrard, both of whom will be at Liverpool for at least one more season.

Steven Gerrard today ended speculation that he might leave Liverpool this summer by committing his future to his home-town club.

The 24-year-old England midfielder, who signed a new four-year deal on November 11 last year scuppered a much-anticipated move to Chelsea at a press conference this afternoon, in which he spoke of his intention to stay in Merseyside.

"For the first time in my career I thought about the possibility of moving on," said Gerrard.

"But after coming home from Euro 2004 and sitting down with my family and spending time with my agent I have decided I am staying.

"I have gone with the decision that is in my heart and that is to stay with Liverpool. I love the club and the supporters - and that's what it boiled down to."

Gerrard had a disappointing time in Portugal, frequently playing out of position as England struggled to match opponents of genuine international class. But his commitment to the club has given new manager Rafael Benitez a huge boost.

A club statement read: "The news will come as a huge relief to Liverpudlians everywhere who feared the club was set to lose the services of their highly influential captain."

Now Benitez will be hoping that Gerrard's England team-mate Michael Owen, who had warned that losing Gerrard would be a "catastrophe", agrees a new deal.

Owen, 24, only has a year left on his current deal, had been reluctant to commit himself to the club following a disappointing season.

· You've read the piece, now have your say. Email your comments to [email protected].

Diesen Beitrag teilen

Link zum Beitrag

Weltklassekicker

Das nenne ich aber gute Nachrichten.Hab mich ziemlich erschreckt, als ich im laufe der EM einmal irgendwo gehört habe das Gerrard zum FC Chelsea wechselt (wechseln will)Es gibt also doch noch Leute die nicht alles über Bord werfen, wenn die ganz, ganz große Kohle winkt.Respekt dafür.Außerdem wird Gute wohl auch bei den Reds nicht gerade am Hungertuch nagen :D

Jetzt kann man als Liverpool Fan nur hoffen,dass auch Milan Baros den wohl mittlerweile reichlich vorliegenden Angeboten nicht erliegt und dem Verein weiterhin die Treue hält.

Und um so wichtiger wird es für Liverpool sein die Quali für die Champions L.zu überstehen um im finanziellen Bereich in Zukunft nicht den Anschluss an die Top Klubs in Europa zu verlieren und im Poker um solche Spieler im vornhinein auf verlorenem Posten zu stehen!

Auf eine erfolgreiche Saison 2004/05

Diesen Beitrag teilen

Link zum Beitrag

WELCOME BACK, RUUD!
Jetzt kann man als Liverpool Fan nur hoffen,dass auch Milan Baros den wohl mittlerweile reichlich vorliegenden Angeboten nicht erliegt und dem Verein weiterhin die Treue hält.

Er hat heute gesagt, dass er Liverpool verlassen hätte, wenn Houllier Trainer geblieben wäre, jetzt aber bei den Reds bleiben will und seine EM-Form in die kommende Saison mitnehmen will.

Diesen Beitrag teilen

Link zum Beitrag