Benitez bald neuer Liverpool Manager ?

Pass And Move - It's The Liverpool Groove
Liverpool land Benítez on his own terms

Dominic Fifield

Thursday May 27, 2004

The Guardian

Rafael Benítez will be named as Liverpool's manager next month, swapping his post with Valencia, the Spanish champions, for Merseyside.

The Spaniard has emerged as the unanimous choice of the board after the sacking of Gérard Houllier and the belated concession that they have missed out on Porto's Jose Mourinho, who might have been their first choice but is to be named as Chelsea's manager.

Liverpool are relishing the prospect of hiring one of Spain's most highly rated coaches. The chief executive Rick Parry has already had a meeting with Benítez's representatives and departed yesterday for a 10-day break in Barbados, where he will be playing in goal for the Liverpool veterans' team, confident that he will unveil the 44-year-old soon after his return.

Benítez, who speaks English, will be offered a four-year deal worth about £25,000 a week, much more than his current salary but a similar package to Houllier's. Though there are still details to be discussed and Valencia remain desperate to retain the most successful coach in their 85-year history, he is understood to be enthusiastic about moving.

His appointment is something of a coup for Liverpool. He took over at Valencia in the wake of the club's second successive Champions League final defeat in 2001 and, with limited funds, was not expected to maintain those heights. Yet in his three years he claimed two Primera Division titles and also celebrated victory in last week's Uefa Cup final against Marseille, a team who had previously beaten Liverpool.

Valencia had not won the Spanish title since 1971 yet his relationship with the club's hierarchy has become strained. He is known to be disillusioned at the lack of money to mount a more coherent challenge in the Champions League and, more significantly, he wants to be allowed to choose whom to sign and whom to sell.

Transfer policy is effectively dictated by the club's sporting director Jesús García Pitarch. "I asked for a sofa and they bought me a lamp," bemoaned the coach in pre-season upon the signing, against his wishes, of the winger Néstor Canobbio. So he admires the English structure, which he experienced at first hand while on sabbatical at Manchester United and in Italy during the late 90s.

Benítez is expected to air his grievances to the president Jaime Orti in the next 24 hours. Valencia had hoped to use it as an opportunity to offer him a new two-year contract, conscious as they are that his current deal expires in 12 months and - because it is recognised in Spain as a standard labour contract - incorporates no compensation should he hand them a fortnight's written notice.

His desire to inform the club only then of his intentions would explain comments made to the Valencia-based Radio Nou yesterday, in which he suggested he might stay. "I am in no hurry to go to Inter Milan, Barcelona or Real Madrid, or any other club," he said. "I want to stay at Valencia. It's already a big club. It's clear that I'm not looking for a team."

Upon moving to Merseyside Benítez will attempt to persuade the Argentinians Roberto Ayala, a highly regarded centre-half, and the playmaker Pablo Aimar, instrumental in two Champions League victories over Liverpool in 2002, to join him in moving from Valencia. The pair's arrival would not be the prelude to a deluge of overseas signings.

Liverpool's clout in the market should be strengthened, with the proposed £64m investment package put forward by Thailand's prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra appearing to edge towards completion. According to Pongsak Ruktapongpisal, the deputy commerce minister who returned to Bangkok yesterday after three days of talks in Liverpool, the Thais will take a stake of about 30% and two seats on the board.

Careful checks are now being made on the club's finances. "I can't say that I am certain it will happen but our chance is now more than 90%," Pongsak claimed. "Everything is in agreement and it will probably take about four to eight weeks to finalise the contract."

· You've read the piece, now have your say. Email your comments to [email protected].

------------------------------------

Benitez admits Liverpool interest

Yesterday he denied it, but today Rafael Benitez is very keen on a move to Anfield

Press Association

Thursday May 27, 2004

Rafael Benitez, pictured mid-U-turn.

Rafael Benitez has admitted that Liverpool have been in touch with his agent over the managerial vacancy at Anfield - and signalled his desire to succeed Gerard Houllier.

The Valencia coach, who is one of the names in the frame to succeed Houllier, yesterday moved to play down speculation linking him with Liverpool.

But Benitez, who has won the league title and the Uefa Cup this season, has admitted that Liverpool would be a great club to coach.

"Liverpool is one of those clubs that any coach always dreams about being able to manage," Benitez is quoted as saying in the Daily Star.

"I have been at Anfield several times as a rival coach and the atmosphere is wonderful. They have spoken to my agent Manuel Garcia Quilun to find out more about my situation."

And in what could be appears to be a U-turn on yesterday's statement, Benitez added: "I am happy in Valencia and I would only leave the club for a great European side and Liverpool are one of those."

· You've read the piece, now have your say. Email your comments to [email protected].

-------------------------------------

Valencia's alchemist also has Midas touch

Benítez's three years made him Mestalla's most successful coach

Simon Talbot in Madrid

Thursday May 27, 2004

The Guardian

Only 25% of Valencia supporters believe that their coach Rafael Benítez should have a street named in his honour, according to an opinion poll on a website devoted to the club, which hardly sounds like a ringing endorsement. Until you see the other answers.

The biggest sector, 44%, said that Benítez should, in fact, have two named after him.

When Benítez arrived at Mestalla, however, he was hardly welcomed with open arms. A virtual unknown who had never played professional football, few considered him talented or experienced enough for the job. His promotions with Extremadura and Tenerife counted for little.

Yet Javier Subirats, then Valencia's technical director, had seen a quality in Benítez and battled with the board to bring the Madrileño to the club. A PE teacher who had studied coaching techniques, Benítez is methodical and after coaching Real Madrid B with Vicente del Bosque he had spells at Valladolid and Osasuna before Extremadura.

He then took a sabbatical in 1999-2000 to study training methods at Manchester United and in Italy. A keen advocate of English football - not least the control granted by clubs to their coaches - and a firm admirer of the former Italy manager Arrigo Sacchi, he proved these lessons extremely valuable.

Benítez returned to Spain and led Tenerife to the top flight but Valencia was an altogether different challenge, a club at war with itself, financially crippled and emotionally shattered after successive European Cup final defeats. Their standard-bearing midfielder Gaizka Mendieta had just left for Lazio, moreover.

And yet Benítez's appointment vindicated Subirats. Valencia won an utterly unexpected league title in his first season after a 31-year wait - only the fifth in the club's history. They were superbly organised, mentally tough and physically immense.

It was no fluke either. This season, Benítez's third, has seen them win the Uefa Cup and regain the title from Real Madrid with three weeks to spare. Aggressive, fast, synchronised and defensively solid, the team have been peerless. Benítez has become Valencia's most successful manager. Ever.

That he has achieved what he has at a club where the board has not backed him as it should is all the more amazing. His position is forever undermined as the shareholders snipe at one another - hidden agendas are rarely hidden for long.

Benítez has achieved all this despite the fact that he does not get on with the sporting director Jesús García Pitarch either, the man who signs players. It is that urge to control his own destiny, to sign men he needs rather than those others want, which has apparently pushed the coach into the arms of England.

And his judgment is sound: only two players came to Valencia on his say-so - Curro Torres and this season's top scorer Mista, both from his old club Tenerife - and their value has been indisputable.

Benítez's role can hardly be overstated. An obsessive student of the game, dedicated and meticulous, he is a such a perfectionist that it drives his backroom staff mad. Eight cameras linked to a specially created computer programme provide data on his players' every move on the pitch.

And Benítez has managed his squad superbly, rotating cleverly. The day Valencia won the title at Sevilla they had Rubén Baraja and Pablo Aimar on the bench yet they were hardly missed. There may not be any galacticos there but Benítez has them playing like stars.

"We are a TEAM, with capital letters," he says. What his modesty prevents him from adding is that he is the man responsible. The feeling remains that some of the Valencia side would look rather ordinary under a different coach, and the talented players look even better with him.

Benítez CV

April 16, 1960 Born Madrid

1986 Becomes coach of Castilla B Juvenil

1989-95 Holds various coaching roles at Real Madrid

1998 Takes Extremadura into the Primera División

2001 Leads Tenerife into the Primera División.

2002 Guides Valencia to first league title since 1971

2004 Wins league and Uefa Cup double

Scheint schon ziemlich fix zu sein und ich könnte auch gut damit leben, auch wenn mir ein Trainer von der Insel lieber gewesen wäre. Aber Benitez wird bei uns hoffentlich den selben Erfolg wie bei Valencia haben. Möglichkeiten hat er bei uns wohl noch mehr und wenn er es Mourinho nachmacht, müsste nach dem UEFA Cup Titel heuer nächste Saison der Champions League Titel folgen :D.

bearbeitet von ianrush

Diesen Beitrag teilen

Link zum Beitrag

let 'em come

Na da bin ich aber gespannt. Denn der Manager von Benitez dementiert jedenfalls jegliche Kontake zu Liverpool.

The agent of Valencia coach Rafael Benitez has again insisted that no negotiations have taken place with Liverpool about the manager's job.

It has been widely reported that Benitez is favourite to succeed Gerard Houllier at Anfield.

But Benitez's agent Manuel Garcia Quilon told BBC Sport: "Liverpool have not contacted me or the Valencia coach.

"There have been no talks, Benitez is still at Valencia and, as far as I know, he is staying there."

On Wednesday, Benitez dismissed speculation that a move to Liverpool was imminent.

The Liverpool Echo claimed that the 44-year-old would definitely be the club's next manager.

But Benitez told Valencia-based Radio Nou: "I am in no hurry to go to Inter Milan, Barcelona or Real Madrid, or any other club.

"I want to stay at Valencia. It's already a big club. It's clear that I'm not looking for a team."

Liverpool's board still appear to have made the man who this season won the Uefa Cup and Spain's La Liga for the second time in three years their unanimous first choice to take over from Houllier.

And if Liverpool pull off the coup, it is likely to persuade Michael Owen to sign the new contract currently on offer at Anfield.

Owen is a massive fan of Benitez and Valencia after they beat Liverpool home and away in the Champions League two season ago.

The England striker has revealed he will wait for a new manager to be confirmed before deciding on a new deal, but is certain to be impressed if Liverpool land Benitez.

Charlton's Alan Curbishley is believed to be the leading British front runner.

Earlier this week, Valencia president Jaime Orti had vowed to resist any approach for Benitez, who has one year left on his current contract.

But it has since been claimed that Benitez has a get-out clause in his contract which allows him to leave at 15 days' notice.

BBC

Diesen Beitrag teilen

Link zum Beitrag

WELCOME BACK, RUUD!

Naja, von anderen Medien (z.B. BBC) hört man wieder ganz andere Geschichten, also mal abwarten. Ein guter Trainer für Liverpool wäre er ganz bestimmt.

Noch was anderes über Liverpool:

Good News für die Reds:

Steven Gerrard has promised Liverpool fans that he will never sign for Manchester United. United boss Sir Alex Ferguson considers the England midfielder to be the ideal future replacement for skipper Roy Keane. "I was flattered and very surprised because he is the best manager around and has been for the last ten years," said Gerrard. "So for him to say those things about me was really nice. But I didn't see it as an invitation to join United." Daily Star

... und Cisse wird trotz Trainerwechsel kommen.

Nicht so gute News:

Michael Owen macht seine Vertragsverlängerung beim FC Liverpool vom neuen Trainer abhängig. Der englische Teamstürmer gab bekannt, dass er seinen neuen Vertrag nicht unterschreiben werde, bevor nicht der Nachfolger des am Montag entlassenen Gerrd Houllier feststünde. Als aussichtsreiche Kandidaten werden Martin O`Neil (Celtic), Rafael Benitez (Valencia), Jose Mourinho (Porto) und Alan Curbishley (Charlton) gehandelt.

Diesen Beitrag teilen

Link zum Beitrag

• 1 year later...
Pass And Move - It's The Liverpool Groove
Aber Benitez wird bei uns hoffentlich den selben Erfolg wie bei Valencia haben. Möglichkeiten hat er bei uns wohl noch mehr und wenn er es Mourinho nachmacht, müsste nach dem UEFA Cup Titel heuer nächste Saison der Champions League Titel folgen :D.

Ich habs ja schon immer gesagt... :finger::finger:

Diesen Beitrag teilen

Link zum Beitrag